The holidays are behind us, the kids are back in school, and the gray days and dark nights of Winter are upon us. While it may be tempting to snuggle under an afghan and hide out at home, there are still plenty of things to do to energize and entertain you and the kids.
Here are some highlights:
Places To Skate
If you're not already spending all your time at an ice rink while one of your kids plays hockey, here are some great places to practice your double axel, including my favorite — Frog Pond on the Boston Common.
Sat., January 14
A morning of space exploration through crafts — make a telescope, a rocket that actually blasts off, and star constellations out of mini marshmallows and toothpicks.
- 10:00 AM - 11:30 am
- Free. Children must be accompanied by a parent/caregiver.
- RSVP to ensure enough supplies are on hand.
- Concord Children's Center, 1300 Main St., Concord, MA
Celebrate the Year of the Rooster with the Chinese American Association of Lexington (CAAL) and an afternoon of dance, music, food, traditional costumes, crafts, and a dragon parade!
- 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Cary Memorial Library, 1874 Massachusetts Av., Lexington, MA, 781-862-6288
Marshall from Paw Patrol will be sharing high-fives and hugs at the Learning Express of Bedford.
- 168 Great Road (Whole Foods Plaza), Bedford, MA
Mon., January 16
Bring your imagination and they supply the LEGOs. Build whatever you can dream up and add your creation to the community display to inspire other builders!
- 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM (drop-in)
- The Discovery Museums, 177 Main St. (Route 27), Acton, MA
- Event included with museum admission of $12.50
Fridays, January 20 | February 10, 24 | March 10, 24
Moonlight Tours: Living in the Dark
Take a moonlight tour of Gore Place and learn what it was like to live on a country estate in the 1800s before electric light. The tour includes the 1793 carriage house, the grounds, and the 1806 mansion, one of the few early homes designed by a woman.
- 7:30 PM
- Gore Place, 52 Gore St., Waltham, MA
- $15, $10 members and ages 5-12. Purchase tickets.